The RPM Challenge is simple: record an album in 29 days, just because you can. That’s 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material recorded during the month of February.
OK, I’m in. Goals are good. Natural procrastinators like me need goals, and we need to say them out loud so that we don’t weasel out.
I’m aiming for the “10 songs” variation — mine run long, so 35 minutes seems like cheating.
There’s old things that have never been properly recorded (not that my home demo setup really counts as “proper”), and I’ll likely have to finish and/or create some new stuff. Channel my inner Jonathan Coulton. Maybe actually write a song about Jonathan Coulton. Perhaps everyone should do that. What’s his birthday? Let’s find out, and declare it National Everybody Write A Song About Jonathan Coulton Day (NaEvWrASoAbJoCoDa).
The list as it comes to mind right now:
- Disappear (live version here)
- Mind of Its Own (live version)
- Closer (Crash Basket version here, with the worst possible vocal)
- The Great Unknown
- two-thirds finished new song which has no title as yet
- Optional (demo version here)
- How Do You Do It? (you’ve never heard this one, it’s old, jangly and fun)
- Room To Breathe (live version])
- and then…
If I’m forgetting something obvious that hasn’t previously been committed to shiny plastic circles, let me know.